Directive 1999/44/EC and its national transposition laws provide protection to consumers in cases of defects in or non-conformity of goods which they purchase. However, the duration of the legal guarantee is limited and it is not always easy to prove the existence of a defect. Commercial warranties can therefore have benefits for consumers.
List of the main advantages of commercial warranties
The ECC-Net, based on its case-handling experience and the checks performed online and offline, has drawn up a list of the main advantages of commercial warranties.
- Its duration is longer than that of the legal guarantee.
- Consumers do not have to prove the existence of adefect, particularly after the first six months.
- Consumers get a replacement item during repair.
- Complaint procedures are clear and simple.
- Consumers do not need to organise shipping of the defective items.
- It provides for a repairer to come to the consumer’s home.
- All costs for analysing the item, repair or replacement are borne by the guarantor.
- The item can be replaced with no attempt to repair.
- All issues are covered, including water damage, accidental breakage and oxidation.
- Consumers can usually contact any representative of the producer or reseller (if it is a producer warranty) for application of the warranty.
- It is an accessory to the item, and can be included in any re-sale.
- It offers a “cooling off” period. If the consumer is not satisfied with the product, bigger brands often offer a total refund or a voucher to the value of the purchase price.